Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Only the Beginning of A Love Story... Paris, France

Be still my heart! I love Paris! I’ve never been to Paris before, I barely speak a word of French, and I had the time of my life!

For all of the negative press we receive in America about how “we” are treated over here – I gotta tell ya (as my dad would say before he would wind himself up for a lengthy lecture of what HE thought we should be doing with our lives, which was usually spot on) – it’s a load of crap.





I THINK the spin-doctors in America are jealous of France, jealous of Paris, and just want us to stay home and spend our dollars towards our own economy (a noble, if somewhat, limited suggestion). They know the food is amazing. They know the transportation systems are efficient. They know the wine is incredible. They know the art and architecture surpasses anything found in America. And They know the shopping can’t be duplicated in any American city – including New York – and yes, I consider myself an authority, as I spend more time than I should shopping in New York.

Okay, so a few secrets are out...

So get over here! French food is touted as being rich. Again, with the negative press. French food can be rich, but it also can be very healthy. Fish and seafood is everywhere. Fresh fruits and vegetables are everywhere. Many cuisines populate the city. My husband and I practically giggled when we sat down and ordered Indian food! We haven’t eaten Indian food in months. It was fabulous! We also were tickled pink to eat Vietnamese food in an elegant setting. However, we’ve also had our fair share of fresh salads and delicious cheeses and fresh baked baguettes and foie gras and, and, and…

Wine, in France, is very affordable. You can walk into le supermarché and purchase a lovely wine for under 10 euro (€). And our own doctors are giving us the green light to drink a glass each day for our health! So what are you waiting for?

The museums in Paris and around Paris are numerable and just about every art form is represented. There is a Museum Pass, I’d highly recommend for those that plan to spend time in museums. A really nice, feature, not having to stand in line, as those lines can be long! A separate entrance for Museum Pass holders is worth its weight in gold! The 2-day pass is 32, for 48, you can purchase a 4-day pass and the 6-day is 64 = easy entry into over 60 museums in and around Paris. www.parismuseumpass.com

We went to the Musée d’Orsay and Musée du Louvre, both, full of breathtaking works of art, that if you’re lucky, you’ll see a piece of now and again when an American art museum collaborates on a collection.

My husband and I are both advocates of the Audio Guide. You learn so many little details, not learned in travel books or websites. The Musée d’Orsay had a really good Audio Guide, Musée du Louvre, not so much. However, so much of the art speaks for itself, no?

The shopping in Paris is incredible! And affordable (for some things). Beautiful linens, perfumes and body care products, delicious tea varieties, unique clothing and scarves(!), household items, art and antiques – each neighborhood we walked through had darling shops filled with items not readily available in the U.S. And I was so taken by the graphic genius of the French! Each shop has a darling sign, charming storefront, and cute packaging.

Gardening in Paris is taken very seriously. Even in the winter, the gardens are perfectly tended and you just know, come spring, they'll be bursting in a riot of color. Children run and play, there are parks specifically for dogs and the artistry found in sculpture, topiary and ironwork is positively delightful.

Churches are less in number than in Rome, and aren’t nearly as old, however, their Gothic architecture is stunning. We went to Mass on New Years Day at Notre-Dame. It just doesn’t get any better!

Oh, and for those that enjoy royalty sighting while on vacation, Karl Lagerfeld and I exchanged glances AND I met and talked with Ina (The Barefoot Contessa) and Jeffrey Garten – royalty in my book!

Come on over, and enjoy Paris!

1 comment:

  1. I love your take on Paris! I feel the same way but Paris is it's own little country. As you know the rest of France is pretty provincal.

    ReplyDelete