Wednesday, January 6, 2010

KARL LAGERFELD ! ! ! ! !

Notice the caps? I don’t usually type out in caps, unless I’m really excited about something or someone. I don’t quite know who knows Karl and who doesn’t, so allow me to provide a bit of background.

Karl Lagerfeld is a STAR in the clothing design business and has been for OVER 20 YEARS. So much of what is produced each season, by other designers, are offshoots of what Karl has already designed, produced and sold. There is no greater designer at this time. Period. He can’t be touched. He designs his own label, Karl Lagerfeld, designs for Fendi, and of course, where he is most famous, has been the genius behind the Chanel label since 1983.

Chanel. Chanel. Chanel. Chanel. Chanel. Chanel. Chanel.

We’re talking the legendary House of Chanel. We’re talking Coco and long strands of pearls and No. 5 and little black dresses and oh, so smart tweedy suits.

Karl and I exchanged glances while we were in Paris, and I’m sure he doesn’t remember me, but I’ll remember him for the rest of my life! You see, I really don’t give a damn about the celebrities much of America focuses on. Lady Gaga? Big whoop! Bradgelina? Nothing special. Actually, I can’t really name anyone else – who is America peeping in on these days? Oh right, I don’t care. I digress…

Karl is the definition of Celebrity. He’s stood the test of time. In my opinion, he’s relevant and classic.

My husband and I were walking to dinner on Rue des Saints Peres and saw one of those great, big Hummer’s driving our way. Spotting a Hummer in France is very unusual, however, not unheard of. We’ve seen them in the south.

The Hummer turned onto Rue de Verneuil, as did we, as we were on our way to Tan Dinh (a fabulous Vietnamese restaurant!) I was mildly curious. Who would hop out? A woman in a full-length mink coat and pearls? A child with her nanny? An oo-la-la-drop-dead-handsome, French man?

Why, it was Karl! He hopped out of the Hummer right before our eyes. On his own, without security. When I recognized him, I immediately gasped, out loud, to my husband (no shame), “Oh my God! It’s Karl Lagerfeld!” Karl looked at me (thankful I wasn’t wielding a camera to be sure), and I looked at him, then he passed us and disappeared into a doorway across the street. I, meanwhile, floated all the way to Tan Dinh. I’m sure my meal was enhanced by the fact that I saw Karl…

I’ve never been that close to celebrity before. Nor will I, probably, ever again. Was I wearing or carrying any Chanel (Fendi or Karl Lagerfeld)? No. Se la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment