Saturday, June 12, 2010

Arrivederci!


We have packed the majority of our belongings – suitcases line our living room walls. The kitchen cupboards are relatively bare. Our refrigerator only contains memories of meals past… Too soon, we will be leaving our beloved Roma.

Sardegna is our next destination, Porto Cervo on the Smeralda Coast to be exact. Relaxing beach time tops our list of requirements before we head home. Well, that, and a bit of exploring of the ancient (1800 – 500 BC!) nuraghi (dwellings and fortress’ of the Nuraghic people).

Sicilia and Sardegna are similarly sized islands, far too large to explore in just one week. Rich with stunning beaches and history on every coast, and inland, we had to reach out to a couple of Sardegna traveled friends for recommendations.

There are a few other adventures I may share (I don’t think I wrote about our dreamy trip to Siracusa, Sicilia back in October [truthfully, my sophomoric writing can’t do Sicilia justice – it’s as much emotion, as an incredibly, beautiful experience – we must go back! And take yourselves to Noto!], fun and funky Barcelona in February, Lucca and San Gimignano in April, so many recipes to share, wonderful meals shared with our generoso e molto gentile famiglia qui in Italia, and we were in Tivoli touring the various Villas last weekend…), but at this point, this may be my last entry.

Thank you to those who sent me comments and messages. I’m sorry I wasn’t open to being a bit more public, but this blog was only written for family and personal friends.

Ah, and I have an interesting observation regarding our time here. When we planned our year here, we hoped we would expand our language skills (I'm still in Italian 101, but my husband has progressed!), enjoy lots of time with our Italian family, travel, eat, drink and be merry. We found, we immersed ourselves into a similar lifestyle as we had at home. Don't get me wrong, we certainly enjoyed every experience, but I wish I would have progressed out of Italian 101, spent additional time with our Italian family, and traveled a wee bit more. Such is life! It guarantees, we'll be back!

American family and friends – we’ll see you on the other side of the world soon! Arrivederci e baci-baci!

No comments:

Post a Comment