Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Few Afternoon Hours




It was sunny and well over 70 and I was in the mood to get out and play. I decided to walk to Piazza Venezia, pass the Insula, up all 124 steps of the Scala dell’Arce Capitolina and then tour myself through Santa Maria d’Aracoeli – Saint Mary of the Altar in Heaven. Quite lovely.



When done, I poked around the Monumento Nazionale Vittorio Emanuelle II. The tourist office planned this space well. They included a nice outdoor bar with food for those of us who appreciate lingering over expansive, historic ruins with a glass of wine in hand. Quite lovely.

I strolled over to Piazza Pasquino and picked up an order of linens from a shop called Society. Society offers washed linens – the kind that you can iron time and time again, but never quite get all of the wrinkles out, so you finally learn your lesson and never iron them. My kind of linens! Quite lovely.

Next, I wandered through Piazza Navona, where many a tourist was paying an outrageous amount of euro to eat a ho-hum meal (Roman’s don’t eat in Piazza Navona – on a scale of 1 to 10, the food ranks at a 3 – one would only eat there, under duress, for the atmosphere.) However, I was hungry! Hurrying up Via della Scrofa, I arrived at our Al Forno for tonno pizza and ricotta cake, which I happily consumed at Ara Pacis. Quite lovely.

A bit of exercise, new historical-artistic-architectural perspectives, home improvements and nutrition; all rolled into a couple of early afternoon hours. Quite lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment