Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow in Rome!

This photo of Via del Babuino was taken from our apartment window. I was in shock! It rarely snows in Rome! I hurriedly threw on my raincoat, scarf, fingerless gloves, boots, grabbed my camera and my husband's rain hat and ran out the door for the Pantheon. When it snows, people go to the Pantheon to take photos of the snow falling through the oculous (hole in the dome). I knew this snow wouldn't last - it had been raining all morning, the flakes were big and fat, and it really wasn't that cold outside.

Our edicola had pulled all of the magazines under cover and the employees of Canova Tadolini were hurrying to scrape their sidewalk for lunch customers. I understand the panini's here are well worth the visit - we'll go one day soon.

On my way to the Pantheon, I quickly snapped a photo of Scalinata di Spagna - the Spanish Steps. Typically, these steps are overflowing with tourists, but I'm guessing they were rather slippery with snow.

These poor palms didn't know what was hit them! They looked so festive in front of Roberto Cavalli's shop on Via Borgognona.

In making my way to the Pantheon, I took a photo of the very quaint Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina, where parts of the Ara Pacis were found underground hundreds of years ago (history and photos can be found in my January 2010 posts). The snow has stopped falling...

I didn't make it to the oculous in the Pantheon in time for a shot of snow falling through, darn it! However, here's a nice shot of the sun shining in Piazza della Rotonda and on the Pantheon.

Here's pretty proof we all thought spring was on the way - the yellow chain flower sits outside a trattoria in Piazza della Rotonda.

This wee bit of snow makes me love my adopted city of Rome all the more. So many who have loved, photographed and written about Rome, had never witnessed this rare event. I truly feel blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment